Sunday, August 15, 2010

Dear Zachary



I was going to write this: I've heard nothing but good things and it was pretty good. Something edited in the era of MTV. A nice "document" of what seemed like a pretty great guy.

But I just finished it and that's not just what it is. It's a completely surreal heartbreaking documentary of terrible things happening to good people that morphs into an expose on the government and the judicial process. It's so painful to think that some people have to go through that much pain. I don't even think I can recommend it in good faith because while it was great, it kind of ruined the rest of my night.

That's kind of worrying me. Whether I'll be able to be a documentary editor. Usually, the purpose of docs (and why I like them so much) is they they can evoke such an emotional response from people. They're meant to do that. And because of that reason, these things are so damn depressing. Even if they end well, there's so much pain you have to trudge through to get to that point. At least of what I've watched so far. I need to watch a completely silly documentary next, I think. Or I might need to take a break from this...and I'm only 3 days in.

No comments:

Post a Comment