Thursday, August 19, 2010

Maxed Out



I chose Maxed Out because of its length, basically. I chose this one because after doing 6 in a row, I'm a little bit tired of being obligated to watch things, so I think I'm going to take the weekends off to give myself a little break.

I feel like this one was a bit awkwardly edited. Under Pressure is a good song to open with (if not a bit cliche), if only for the climax of the bridge. It's a really good song for that kind of crescendo of action, but they didn't use it for that, so that made it kind of awkward when the song cut off. I can see myself mentally editing this as I watch, which is kind of distracting.

It's interesting how no two docs are the same. This one has title screens to explain information where other docs might have someone say this onscreen as a talking head. This way is certainly easier. It's what we did with All The Hours (formally known as the hours), but there's something to be said for providing the information without that jarring change in speed.

I feel like each story is a little vignette within itself and I wish that everything connected a little bit more.

All that said, it was informative, which I'm sure was its intent.

The thing with debt is that at some point, it seems like you should have a high enough intelligence and enough foresight that you shouldn't get yourself into that situation, but that's so much easier said than done. And how easy and unpredictable is it to have a sick child, get sick yourself, have your spouse die, or leave you and lose that income.

Just yet another thing wrong with our country. How hard it is to get a credit card as an adult compared to the difficulty for a college student to get, say, 12, as one of the people in the documentary did. That's insane. Makes me sort of depressed about my own credit card debt. Like I'm part of the punch line of the huge joke on our lives.

And the funny thing about debt is that it's just credit. All money is just a credit. Even paper money is just proof that you're basically "good for it." The idea of money seems silly. Lets go back to the days of bartering like the Natives. That seems good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment