Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Mic Sounds Nice: A Truth About Women & Hip Hop



It was a short little thing that sort of found me as I was on the internet this morning. It was made mostly like any other hour long short doc you'd find on VH1 or BET (does MTV even still do those?). It had talking heads, some nicely composed interviews, some b-roll of the old times, some stills. All interviews connected together as one thought sort of thing..

Their lower thirds were like sideways almost 3D thirds and for the MCs it was tagged with a line from a song of theirs. Example:
Mecca
The Mecca gets a rush when the beats be very thick.

I thought it was interesting enough for what it was. They got some really important names for the thing. One thing I would have liked is I would have loved to see them go a little bit deeper into it. Explore a bit more into the history and implications of being a female MC. I would have liked for them to get deeper into the conflict of being a female MC who is respected, and yet still being a part of an institution that's inherently misogynistic to your people. Maybe someone can pull from this and do a feature highlighting something like that.

It was surprising to find out that the Grammys actually dropped the female MCs category from their awards. How depressing and sad is that?!

No comments:

Post a Comment