Wednesday, August 18, 2010

The September Issue



Very slick. Even though it was made by A&E Indie Films, still feels like a Hollywood documentary, if that makes sense.

The fashion industry is a universe that I'm not familiar with and have no interest in becoming familiar with but, but similar to The King Of Kong, it's interesting to see how people who exist within different universes operate as though their universe is more important than everyone else's reality.

It's the kind of doc that seems so effortlessly edited you wonder, well how hard can it be cutting together all that footage into a comprehensive and comprehensible story.

As I watched, it was hard to see how do they knew what's good, what's bad and what's fabulous when fashions and trends change so much. I don't get it. But I don't think I'm necessarily meant to.

One thing that was strange to observe was the antiquated prejudice against any of the models of color. I don't think there was one in the whole thing.

Overall, I liked it. I like how the action naturally unfolded and even though I care nothing for fashion, it still held my attention. Still, my ending thought, as the printers went to work printing 840 pages of clothes, was "what a waste of trees." I guess that sums up my opinion of the industry as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment