Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Business of Being Born



I don't know what I expected when I went into this, but I really really liked what I found. One of my top five that I've watched so far. This was made for a particular reason. To open people's eyes about hospital births vs home briths. And I will admit that my eyes have been opened. And I liked that feeling. Be warned, though. This is a movie about giving birth at home, so there are many many on camera births in this movie.

I kind of enjoyed how they showed the doctor's perspective and bounced back and forth between the midwife's opinions. Maybe it was supposed to be used to show both perspectives, but the argument on their side seems so strong that it really just made the doctors sound like Aholes.

It's interesting for something like this, though. At what point is something a biased one sided story and at what point is it a movie that's trying to open your eyes to the realities of the maternity care system just by revealing of facts? I think it did a great job at presenting facts as true but not making them absolute. The hospital works for some cases, as we definitely see later on in the film.

This movie was super uplifting every time a baby was born. Smile from ear to ear. It was awesome. Almost made me want to have a baby. I didn't care for staring at so many vaginas, really. That's just not a thing that I make it a habit of doing all the time, but that's part of birth and I know that it would be. I remember in middle school we had the option of watching a real birth in Mr. Love's health class, and my 12 year old self chose to watch, for curiosities sake. I was scarred for the rest of middle school I think.

Abby Epstein did a great job with this one. Really kept my attention and I felt like I was learning the whole way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment