Monday, September 20, 2010

Endless Summer



This is the oldest doc I've watched so far. Grey Gardens was old, When You're Strange had old archive footage in it, but this was from 1966. Even just the idea that this was made and made well is fascinating to me. if it were made now, it wouldn't be as good. The proof of that (I'm guessing, I have no basis for this because I haven't seen it) is in the remake (maybe?).

Usually, I think narration or voice over seems lazy, like you couldn't create enough content so you had to voice over what was happening to explain the story to the audience. Narration in this gets sort of a pass, though. It definitely made it a bit more interesting since they clearly didn't get any audio. It made it seem like they were doing an anthropological study reel that you'd later watch in class. I the 60s. Except this study has to do with human beings and the "thrill and the fun of the sport of surfing." Kind of cool.

Despite the voice over, it was easy to forget that this thing was actually being filmed It just seems like we were going on this trip with these guys. Even WITH the voice over. How'd they do that? That's the best kind of doc. The camera just disappeared.. And I think that gives some credit to the script too. The editing, combined with the script was a pretty good combination. And the music really pulled it together (except for the foley, which, besides the sound of the waves crashing, was pretty bad). But where'd the find people to drag them around the world? How'd they pay for this without online banking? Crazy.

Some cons:

The continued use of phrases like "primitive" Africa, "poor little African boy," "being good africans they threw a few rocks," that stuff was bothersome. I guess I should just think of it as part of the times, and it was interesting that they were introducing surfing to these communities, but the cultural insensitivity was still a bit annoying. Like... shut up voice over. And I bet they probably didn't even think of the fact that the camera might not even be allowed in some of these countries and tribes. But it was made in the sixties. As was Breakfast At Tiffany's with their horrible spoof of a Chinese man. Yikes, 60s.

I mean, I just knew that in Africa we'd see some non-primative black people. But no. Every person they talked to and surfed with that wasn't one of these primitive Africans was a white dude. You just forget that there are so many white people in South Africa in the first place. And no Hawaii's surfing in Hawaii at all? Oh sixties.

Speaking of 60s, that sixties corny humor in the voice over was kind of funny. And the innocence of being bale to just hitch a ride without considering that you might be kidnapped or killed.

Watching endless footage of surfing reminds me of being friends with skaters in high school and watching endless and endless footage of skateboarding tricks, and super cool aerials and rad grinds, etc. Since I don't and have no idea how to surf, it's not very fun after the first 17.

This whole thing made me want to learn how to surf. I'm in the right place for it. Not the right season though.

No comments:

Post a Comment