Friday, September 10, 2010

Enron: The Smartest Guys In The Room



I don't know if I like the opening being like a reenactment of the guy killing himself. I haven't decided what I feel about reenactment type stuff in documentaries. I think I don't feel good about it. It was used kind of weird here.

This kind of thing is interesting. It was kind of the situation where your mother or teacher catches you doing something. And you don't know what to do, but you still don't want to admit that you're embarrassed that you got caught. That's what Jeff Skilling was like during his indictment. Awkward.

This one seemed to break a lot of my "I don't really care for that in a documentary" rules. They used a ton of pop music, they had a voice over throughout the whole thing, they had the interviewer speak on camera, etc, but it worked here. It kept up with itself and kept me engaged. It was a tight, compelling, well told story. Very confusing at times, but good nonetheless.

It is unfortunate that no one got properly blamed for something like this. Jeff Skilling is responsible for thousands and thousands of families losing their futures and all he gets is 24 years? While some guy selling crack cocaine on the corner will get life in prison? That's damn ridiculous. And then Ken Lay basically got the easy way out.That's kind of a messed up thing to say, but really, not paying for your consequences is just the easy way out. It is interesting, though, that this was made before Lay and Skilling went to jail. I guess they wanted to pump this thing out as soon as possible. That makes sense.

I can't even wrap my head around wanting to have this type of control and power in a business. To be that type of person, that type of money hungry person where you don't mind ruining lives to get a bigger bank statement...I don't get that. I can't understand it.

Another frustration to pick at: Why don't people answer how they're supposed to answer?! Answer with the question in your answer! Otherwise, the interviewer is going to be in the doc

No comments:

Post a Comment